Medal Recipient Research - Second World War Medals

English section for foreign guests.
mark sellar

Medal Recipient Research - Second World War Medals

Berichtdoor mark sellar » 06 Okt 2013, 19:08

Is it possible to obtain copies of the service records of Netherlands Veterans who served and survived the Second World War?

I ask as I want to ascertain the medal entitlements of Netherlands personnel - assuming of course that the service records contain such information.

If the answer is yes, then what sort of information is provided, and from where can I get the information?

Details of on-line resources or research services would be welcome.

In advance thanks.

Yours aye,
Mark

PS: If anyone can help me obtain a specific service record, I can by way of reciprocation offer to research and supply service papers for British service personnel who served pre 1914 and whose medals you may have, but thus far either do not have papers or have not checked the respective medal rolls for verification

Spraakverwarring

Re: Medal Recipient Research - Second World War Medals

Berichtdoor Spraakverwarring » 06 Okt 2013, 19:58

You can get a copy of a service record from the Ministry of Defence, personnel archives. See this link for the address (use google tranlate to get you an English version of the text). A personnel record typically list dates of promotion, awards and decorations, and units where the person served. You have to submit proof (copy of the death certificate) that the particular individual from who you wish to receive the record is deceased. If the person is still alive, you have to get his written permission to get the data. Hope this helps.
NUNTIUS TRANSMITTENDUS - Regiment Verbindingstroepen

mark sellar

Berichtdoor mark sellar » 07 Okt 2013, 09:35

Hi Spraakverwarring,

Thanks for your reply with details - and good to know that the records are extant and accessible from the Netherlands Ministry of Defence, and especially good to learn that the service papers also contain confirmation of medals awarded.

Downside is I do not know the date of death of the medal recipient so currently cannot make a direct application myself through the MOD.

Question: Can anyone recommend the name and contact details of a tried and tested 'Researcher' in the Netherlands that I can contact to carry out the research on my behalf whether to obtain date of birth / death details and certificates, and process the application through the MOD?

Yours aye,
Mark

Spraakverwarring

Berichtdoor Spraakverwarring » 07 Okt 2013, 20:04

There is another possibility. If you know the name and prefeably the date of birth, you can request a copy of the "persoonskaart" or "persoonslijst" (personal record cards or personal record lists, used in the population registration) from the Central Bureau for Genealogy (CBG). The CBG is the official keeper of all personal record cards from deceased persons. I guess it is as good as a death certificate when requesting a copy of a service record from the MoD. See this pdf file (EN) for more information. The CBG website can be found here. There is also a list of genealogical researchers avaiable (see this pdf).

If you are looking for recipients of decoratoins for bravery, a lot of research that subject has been done and is also published online. There is an excellent website available: http://www.onderscheidingen.nl/ Click on "Decorati" and then on "Onderscheidingen aan Nederlanders voor de Tweede Wereldoorlog" (=awards to Dutch nationals for WWII). For persons that received a decoration for bravery, this site also lists the other decorations that this person received. If you are looking for people that only received commemorative medals however, you have to follow the route via the service records.

Hope this helps. Best regards!
NUNTIUS TRANSMITTENDUS - Regiment Verbindingstroepen

mark sellar

Berichtdoor mark sellar » 08 Okt 2013, 13:26

Spraakverwarring,

Thanks for your further most useful information and leads - just what I was looking for.

Yours aye,
Mark

Terug naar “English section”